Local Business Tax Receipts
Our mission is to ensure the highest quality of service for the business community to thrive in our hometown environment.
Local Business Tax Receipt Overview
Any person desiring to open a business or profession within the City of Margate must first apply for and receive a Local Business Tax Receipt (LBTR). The Local Business Tax Receipt year commences October 1 and expires September 30.
Applications can be found online or by visiting our office.
General Application Process
- The applicant should check with Zoning at 954-979-6213 to ensure that the proposed business or profession is permitted within the zoning district of the business location.
- After zoning approval, the applicant can complete the LBTR application and return it to 901 NW 66 Ave. for review.
- Once the LBTR application is received and paid for, it is then forwarded to Zoning, Building, Fire and Engineering Departments for review and approval.
- Building inspections will be made to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the people. Building inspection requirements are as follows:
- Applicant must provide a ladder of sufficient height to allow inspector’s access in space above ceilings as necessary.
- In the event any corrections are required, the responsibility rests with the tenant and landlord to make those required corrections.
- Once any required corrections are completed, additional inspections will occur to ensure compliance with code.
- The LBTR will be issued after the business or profession has passed all inspections and reviews.
All local business tax receipts are due and payable by October 1 of each year, and will expire on September 30 of each succeeding year. For each local business tax receipt obtained between October 1 and April 1 of the license year, the applicant shall pay the full annual business tax. For each local business tax receipt obtained from April 1 to September 30 of each year, the applicant shall pay one-half (1/2) of the annual business tax.
Code of Ordinances
Chapter 25 of the Margate Code of Ordinances provides the Schedule of Business Taxes and other helpful information for opening your business in the City of Margate. Visit the Code of Ordinances webpage.
- Aged Exemption Affidavit (PDF)
- Coin Operated Amusement Devices (PDF)
- Contractors Supplement (PDF)
- Fictitious Name Affidavit (PDF)
- Home Local Business Affidavit (PDF)
- Insurance Company Application (PDF)
- LBTR Application fillable-Revised-Accessible
- Medical Office Certification (PDF)
- Merchants Affidavit (PDF)